Pages

Sunday 5 September 2010

Vengeance! Sept 5th Run


Finally! I have a claimed vengeance against the weather. For the last few weeks, Sunday mornings meant down pours. I have even attempted to run through the rain once, but to my dismay, the bucket would tip and I would be drenched from head to toe. I would then have to sneak into gas stations or convenience stores and wait the weather out. At which point, my feet were soggy and uncomfortable, my clothes were cold and wet from the stores' AC, and I was left feeling miserable. Incomplete. Unsatisfied, and unaccomplished.

Nothing that a steaming warm shower can't solve, but finally, the weather changed for the better today. Though there was a brisk and chilly wind, I conquered the run I had set out to do a while back. It features: 16th, Major Mac, and Elgin mills, and reaches Mill St. Pond at its extreme. I had rarely been in that neighborhood, and it came as a bit of suprise to see the number of dogs/dog walkers there were. The gardens in the neighborhood also seemed to be more meticulously kept.

I finished the run in 2hr and 15 min. It was a half-marathon length, which I had never attempted before, and I was happy to have found a new stride in the middle of the run. Whether it was the gust of wind behind my back, or merely remembering the badminton coaches saying, "torque your core!", I torqued, and I found new life. The new mechanics allowed me to increase the distance of my strides, and seemed to lessen the burden on the legs, I will have to remember it for the race in a few weeks!

Nearing the very end, I really could have used a power drink. My mind was losing concentrating, and I was beginning to wonder if ketoacidosis was kicking in. I'll have to have a heavier carb meal at breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment