Pages

Friday 6 August 2010

Char Siew Bao




So last Sunday, I wanted to try to make one of the most popular dim-sum dishes: BBQ Pork Buns! I used a recipe that my mother had said tasted exactly like the buns you get from chinese bakeries and went ahead to steam it.

The problem was, the recipe was for baked buns instead of steam! So, as a result, the buns turned a slight yellow, and did not have the exact same taste as I am accustomed to. Next, I did not follow the tips from rasa-malaysia of spraying the buns with mist first, and adding a bit of vinegar in the boiling water (to create smoother coatings, and whiter buns respectively). As a result, my buns had a uneven surface, and less attractive color.

I also chose against using red food coloring, and ended up with brown contents instead. =S. But nevertheless, they still tasted delightful, and I will definitely be making them again, with the right recipes whilst following those tips =).

No comments:

Post a Comment